INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information, including Personal Data, to provide better services in connection with the System. We use the term “Personal Data” to refer to any information that identifies or can be used to identify you. Common examples of Personal Data we may collect include first and last name, address, business email address, organization name, phone number, and digital identity such as a login name or handle and certain metadata.
“Sensitive Personal Data” refers to a smaller subset of personal data which is considered more sensitive to the individual, such as race and ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade-union membership, genetic or biometric information, and sexual orientation. SBL does not collect or use Sensitive Personal Data through the System and asks that you do not provide Sensitive Personal Data to us in connection with your use of the Beacon or the App.
We collect Personal Data in the following ways:
- Information You Provide to Us
You may choose to provide us with Personal Data about yourself, including but not limited to your name, organization, phone number and email address, in connection with your use of the System. You may also provide us with Personal Data about yourself when you report a problem or have a question about our System. When using the System, you may provide us with information sent between you and individuals authorized to administer the System, such as your Company. This information may include location and address information you elect to share with the Company. Please note that if you do not provide us with Personal Data, your ability to use certain aspects of the System may be limited.
- Information We Obtain from Your Use of Our Beacon and App
We collect certain information automatically, such as your operating system version, browser type, and internet service provider. When you use the Beacon or the App, we automatically collect and store this information in service logs. This includes details of how you used the System; Internet protocol address; and cookies that uniquely identify your browser. We may also collect and process information about your actual location. The information we collect automatically is statistical data and GPS data and may or may not include Personal Data, but we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Data we collect in other ways or receive from third-parties, such as your Company.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you use the App or Beacon, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. This information is anonymous. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with the System, your Company and our partners, such as advertising websites. Our third-party advertising and analytics partners, often using marketing automation, in-page analytics, and Search Engine Optimization tools.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
Web Beacons. Pages of our App or our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use your Personal Data in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was collected or authorized by you, including the following:
- To provide you services in connection with the System;
- To administer content, promotion, survey or other Sites’ features;
- To communicate about, and administer your participation in surveys, special programs, offers or promotions and to deliver pertinent emails;
- To improve our customer service;
- To respond to and support customers regarding their use of the System;
- To comply with applicable legal requirements; and
We also use the information we collect from our Beacon and App to provide maintenance and improvements, development of new services and protection of our company and our customers.
When you visit our website, we may use information collected from cookies and other technologies, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our System. We may use your personal information to see which web pages you visit at our Site, which website you visited before coming to our Sites, and where you go after you leave our Sites. We may then develop statistics that help us understand how our visitors use our Sites and how to improve them. We may also use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
OUR LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING PERSONAL DATA
Whenever we collect Personal Data from you, we may do so on the following legal bases:
- Your consent to such collection and use which you hereby automatically provide when you connect to the System;
- Out of necessity for the performance of the services arising out of the System, such as your agreement to use our Beacon and App;
- Our legitimate business interest, including but not limited to the following circumstances where collecting or using Personal Data is necessary for:
- Intra-company transfers of customer data for administrative purposes;
- Product development and enhancement, where the processing enables SBL to enhance, modify, personalize, or otherwise improve our System, including the Beacon and the App and communications for the benefit of our customers, and to better understand how people interact with our Beacon and App, as well as the System;
- Communications and marketing, including processing data for direct marketing purposes, and to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and advertising;
- Fraud detection and prevention;
- Enhancement of our cybersecurity, including improving the security of our network and information systems; and
- General business operations and diligence;
provided that, in each circumstance, we will weigh the necessity of our processing for the purpose against your privacy and confidentiality interests, including taking into account your reasonable expectations, the impact of processing, and any safeguards which are or could be put in place to protect your privacy. In all circumstances, we will limit such processing for our legitimate business interest to what is necessary for its purposes.
INFORMATION WE SHARE
We do share personal information with your Company. We do not share personal information collected through the System with companies, organizations or individuals outside of our company or your Company unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent. We may share Personal Data with companies, organizations or individuals outside of SBL when we have your consent to do so.
- For legal reasons. We will share Personal Data with companies, organizations or individuals outside of SBL if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of SBL, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- provide monitoring services to you through an emergency third-party call center, if your Company signs up for monitoring services.
We attempt to notify our users about legal demands for their personal data when appropriate in our judgment unless prohibited by law or court order or when the request requires expedited attention. We may dispute such demands when we believe, at our discretion, that the requests are overbroad, vague or lack proper authority, but we do not promise to challenge every demand.
The specific circumstances under which we may share your Personal Data will vary based on the information you provide and your use of the System, including the Beacon and App.
- Aggregate Site Use Information. Our Beacon and App may automatically collect usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of use. We use this information in aggregate form and not in a manner that would identify you personally. We may share aggregated and anonymized/pseudonymized Personal Data to advertisers and other third-parties in order to promote or describe the use of the System.
CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR FAILURE TO PROVIDE PERSONAL DATA
Your provision of Personal Data is required in order to use the Beacon and the App. If you fail to provide such Personal Data, you may not be able to access and use our Beacon or the App.
OUR RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
CHANGING OR DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
You may update or correct information about yourself by emailing your Company. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements or for other legitimate business purposes. We may contact you to request that you update your Personal Data on a regular basis to ensure its integrity for the purposes of ongoing data management.
The Beacon and App may contain links to web pages operated by parties other than SBL. We do not control such websites and are not responsible for their contents or the privacy policies or other practices of such websites. Our inclusion of links to such websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such websites or any association with their operators. Further, it is up to you to take precautions to ensure that whatever links you select or software you download (whether from the SBL website or other websites) is free of such items as viruses, worms, trojan horses, defects, and other items of a destructive nature. These websites and services may have their own privacy policies, which you will be subject to upon linking to the third-party’s website. SBL strongly recommends that you review the third-party’s terms and policies.
HOW WE PROTECT PERSONAL DATA
SBL maintains administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect your Personal Data and information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. We implement appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk, taking into account technological reality, cost, the scope, context and purposes of processing weighted against the severity and likelihood that the processing could threaten individual rights and freedoms. For example, we use commercially reasonable security measures such as encryption, firewalls, and transport layer security (TLS) or hypertext transfer protocol security (HTTPS) to protect Personal Data. However, SBL cannot guarantee the security of user account or other personal information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, could compromise the security of user information at any time.
DIRECT MARKETING AND “DO NOT TRACK” SIGNALS
SBL does not track its customers over time and across third-party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. However, some third-party sites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you. If you are visiting such sites, your browser may include controls to block and delete cookies, web beacons and similar technologies, to allow you to opt out of data collection through those technologies.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Silent Beacon, LLC
9200 Corporate Blvd. Suite 250
Rockville MD 20850